Skip to main content

Hair Loss Reversed....With A Few Remedies

Remember how I was wailing about my hair falling like mad each time I washed my hair?

Well, I told a friend, Then, who runs a hair salon and whom I go to each month for my henna hair colouring treatment (yes, these pesky white hairs keep popping up so when I get tired of plucking them by the roots, I go and henna them all).

She's Indian so she asked me if my diet changed. I was eating less rice at that time because I didn't want to get too flabby around my waist.

She told me that she personally experienced hair loss too when she reduced her rice intake. She advised me to get back to my normal rice intake and see if it helped. I decided to also get a bottle of hair loss shampoo from her. It was more to satisfy my own desire to do all I could to help my hair loss from getting worse.

The girl who worked for Then did tell me that her boss did eat a lot of fruits and yogurt. Yogurt is cooling for the body.

That was in January.

I started reading more online because I did see the logic of her statement. What we put into our bodies is more important than what we put on our bodies. I tried her shampoo for a while but I realised it didn't help much.

I decided it was all about my body because apparently, hair is related to Kidneys and Liver. TCM believes that hair is related to blood circulation.So if I wanted to make my hair stronger, I had to improve my blood. And blood, as we know, is stored in the Liver. The Kidneys play a role too in that if you wanted your hair to be shiny and thick, you had to have strong Kidney essence.

So the lack of sufficient blood flow and circulation is one of the causes of hair loss.

I wasn't sure if I was stressed and that caused hair loss. I was, however, keen to prevent more hair loss by eating right.

So I started eating one dong quai capsule a day.

I had bought these dong quai capsules from the Chinese herbalist in town for days when I was too lazy to boil dong quai soup after my menses.

The herbalist recommended that I eat a capsule at each meal meaning I had to eat 3 capsules a day.

I wasn't too sure if suddenly eating so much of dong quai was going to shock my body. So I went on for one a day. I would take one dong quai capsule a day in addition to my cod liver oil capsule.

I also started to eat more rice.

I also started eating black sesame seeds in powder form. I bought a packet of  black sesame seed powder from the shop inside Than Hsiang temple. Black sesame seed, I knew, was recommended for hair darkening because sesame seeds (white and black) are good for tonifying the Kidneys. I basically mixed 2 tablespoons of black sesame seed powder into my cereal beverage and drank this 2 times a week.

According to this website: "Taking black sesame seeds can heal all the chronic illness after 100 days, improve skin tone on body and face after 1 year, reverse gray hair after 2 years, and regrow teeth after 3 years.” says the Compendium of Materia Medica, the largest and most comprehensive medical writings in the history of Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM)."

I also realised that the hot weather didn't help. My scalp was sweating and itchy and it also contributed to hair loss. It's still humid and hot in Penang now but I have taken to washing my hair more often. I used to wash my hair every 2 days but now I wash my hair daily, if only to stop having a sweaty scalp. 

So how did all those remedies go?

I could see that my hair loss has become less each time I shampoo. I didn't use much of the hair loss shampoo so it's not the shampoo that's helping, that's for sure. 

I attribute it to the dong quai (for the blood-building) and black sesame seeds and rice. Perhaps all these were working in tandem. Again, I believe that improving blood and its circulation from within by eating the right foods and herbs did help. 

I am still monitoring my hair and scalp but I feel that the combination of these foods (and perhaps resting more and walking more) have helped. 

Have you come across any interesting remedies for hair loss? Have you experienced hair loss? What did you do? I'd love to hear your comments. 

One more thing, I also believe that henna colouring helped cool my scalp too. If your scalp is too hot, it also makes hair drop too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak.  The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states.  Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea.  This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most