Skip to main content

What I Love In HK

One of the best things I love about Hong Kong is their herbal drinks. There's a variety of them sold almost everywhere you go.

Am actually blogging this from our rented apartment in Jordan (thank God for the high speed wifi) so this is definitely a first for me - blogging on the go, that is.



I got a fever two days before I got on the plane to HK and I was so worried I would literally freak out in the plane for the 4 hours of flight. Thankfully Ho Yan Hor saved me and i actually was quite OK for travel except that my throat was sore.

It's my 2nd day in HK and I decided that I had to drink something to cool down my heaty body.



This brand of herbal drinks is easy to find at MTR stations across HK. At HK$24 it's not exactly cheap but it is great for people like me. 

This one is made of lotus leaf, winter melon and coix seeds and i had mine warm. It clears heat and relieves summer heat. 

All i want is to have my throat back to normal again so i can taste all the yummy food here in HK! 

Despite the sore throat I still managed to visit my uni mate whom I haven't seen for 16 years at the APC Mall in Kwun Tong today. We had some dessert from Honeymoon Dessert, apparently a super famous dessert chain in HK. I went for the papaya and white fungus dessert hoping that i could cool my body down. 

And after that off I went to the largest Taoist temple in HK - Wong Tai Sin. It was supposed to be unbearably warm in HK now but today the weather was kind. It rained just before so the temple jaunt was pleasant and cool. 



Wong Tai Sin is famous for granting wishes and many people visit this temple for this reason. The other attraction is the rows of fortune tellers who will tell your fortune for a fee. 




Comments

Anonymous said…
Get well soon and have a great time in Hong Kong.
Krista Goon said…
Hi there - I did have a grand time in HK with my parents and sis. We did it the slow way because my parents are in their 60s and walking up and down did take a toll on them (at least they didn't grumble too much!). I shall be writing about our little exploits in HK. I think we all should have a holiday with our parents once in a while, if only to catch up with each other. I was a bit terrified initially as I have never done this type of free and easy holiday before with them but I am super glad I did. It taught me to see things from my parents' perspectives!

Popular posts from this blog

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak.  The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states.  Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea.  This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most