Skip to main content

Bing Han Ginseng Powder

If you read this blog long enough, you know I love convenience. Maybe because I am lazy. I like to think that I like shortcuts to health.

Anyway, for the past 4 months I have been taking this product that I feel has been doing me good, despite its hefty price tag. 

But first, a little introduction is in order. 

It's a product from Taiwan called Bing Han Refined Ginseng Powder and it's made from panax ginseng. 
bing han ginseng powder from taiwan
Bing Han Ginseng Powder from Taiwan
It is water soluble. Which means I can dissolve it in water and drink it up. In my books, it's always a good thing right? Sheer convenience. 

I had heard of the miraculous things people have said about ginseng. When my late grandmother was alive, she was given Korean ginseng and her white hair started turning black! 

Anyway, Chinese folks love their ginseng. It's a well-known fact. I had a friend who used to drink ginseng soups when she was pregnant. Her two children do have beautiful skin! 

But the thing about ginseng is this: most people are cautioned about taking ginseng especially Korean ginseng for fear of being too "heaty". Which is why American ginseng, a more "yin" ginseng, is often taken as teas and in soups. 

So I was a bit hesitant when I learnt that I had to take a spoonful of this powdered ginseng daily, as a warm beverage (dissolved in warm water, upon waking up). I had the same thoughts - "Would this be too heaty for me?" (The spoon is not your average teaspoon. It's a tiny plastic spoon which gives about half a teaspoon.)

My friend who sells this ginseng powder did warn me that I would have vertigo reactions - or what is called side effects for the first few weeks as the body cleanses or detoxifies itself - when I drink this on a daily basis. As she sells this, she tells me to drink at least 3 times a day, once before breakfast, once after lunch and once in the evening before dinner. 

Another friend who is taking this ginseng powder told me that it's OK to just take it once a day. After all, one jar (150 gm) of the powdered ginseng costs RM 570. It's not as if it is a RM 57 product. Her rationale is that we're healthy folks and we just need ginseng for "maintenance". 

bing han refined ginseng powder health benefits
150gm of ginseng powder for RM570 
It has been used for cancer patients and they finish one jar about every 3 days! No kidding. I heard these cancer survivors tell their stories - they recovered by taking intensive doses of this product. But then again, psychologically people think you can't get well from cancer. Yet I heard these living, breathing souls emotionally recall how their lives were saved with this product. Believe it or not. 

In the first 2 weeks of taking this ginseng each morning, I did experience some odd symptoms. I felt very thirsty and kept gulping water like a fish. I also had a terrible sore throat. And I started coughing and coughing up whitish phlegm too. It was like my body was doing some major overhauling. I felt warmer than usual. 

According to the pamphlet, these symptoms mean I have an acidic physical constitution and my lungs were weak. A friend who drank this ginseng told me she would feel extremely sleepy in the first two weeks too. All of us, it seemed, had something to be expelled before recovery could happen. 

I would also feel terribly hungry in the morning after drinking the water soluble ginseng. I was given a tumbler to mix the powder with 300 ml of warm water but you can even eat the powder on its own if you like, though it might be more palatable as a drink. 

What I did experience after 30 or so days of imbibing this product is that my period came after 30 days. I have issues with my menstruation cycles. Sometimes it's 30 days, other times 35 days. It fluctuates. So I was very pleased when my period arrived on the dot. When it did, I had less cramps and less blood clots. I felt more energetic too. 

I am still taking this ginseng and I just finished a jar and ready to order another jar. I do feel better when I take this powder but then again, ginseng has always been a beloved Chinese herb. 

The company says that only 6 year old ginseng cultivated on their own farms in North Eastern China are used. Whole ginseng is used where it is washed, dried and made into powder - and it is supposedly 4 times more concentrated. 

Due to its treatment, the ginseng is neutral in its properties (not heaty nor cooling) and can be taken by everyone, babies included. 

I think it has something to do with its low temperature processing (28C) compared to the conventional high temperature processing (128C). One other thing is that the company invites you to visit its processing plant to see for yourself how the ginseng is processed. While its ginseng is grown in China, I believe the HQ is in Taiwan. 

The box and its can are tacky in their design and screams "Chinese" on all fronts (and that's the other thing which bothers me other than the price). They do include a quality and batch assurance certificate with each box you buy. 

I would overlook my overly enthusiastic friend's egging and continue to take a spoonful a day, if only to feel rejuvenated and healthier. 

Plus I have this secret dream that if I continue taking ginseng, maybe when I reach 80 years old, I will still look like I am 50? (I know. I would have to eat a lot of ginseng and live till 80 to find out if that's true. Still, at least I am not swallowing antibiotics or pills.)

Comments

Bowie said…
Hi,
I got kinda interested after reading your post so did a google search and found that it was actually recalled by the HK authorities in 2004 as it contained overdose of pesticides: http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/200405/24/0524239.htm

Some links:
http://www.appledaily.com.tw/appledaily/article/headline/20040524/955115

http://iammissjeris.blogspot.sg/2011/03/blog-post_25.html

You may want to research more before consuming long term.
Krista Goon said…
Hi Bowie:
Hey, thanks for the heads-up. I am going to send these links to my friend and see what she has to say.
coralcrue said…
i've never taken ginseng but i really want to have more energy .lovely post
maggie.danhakl@healthline.com said…
Hi,

Healthline is interested in contributing a guest post to soupqueen.blogspot.com. We would be open to contributing any blog that would be of interest to your readers. Healthline bloggers have been featured on a variety of sites including:

Washington Times: http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/tango-mind-and-emotion/2012/aug/10/how-healthy-choices-easy/
Natural News: http://www.naturalnews.com/036515_diabetes_strawberries_prevention.html

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Warm Regards,

Maggie Danhakl- Assistant Marketing Manager
p: 415-281-3124 f: 415-281-3199

Healthline Networks, Inc. • Connect to Better Health
660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 www.healthline.com
Anonymous said…
Thank for sharing. Hope this finds you well.

Good to hear that you have shortened your cycle as a longer cycle is associated with greater lifetime exposure to steroid hormones and the implicated dysfunctions.

yp
Thanks a lot for share information. few days ago,I saw another site as like this. To get information please visit this link.Skin Ginseng
Unknown said…
My mom bought one. The can look different. She told me to buy more. I trust buy on line today. Most of them are fake. What should I do to get the right one?
Krista Goon said…
Hi there - If you want to get the real stuff, you can contact my friend tml9218_binghan@yahoo.com. Let her know you came through Krista's blog.
Lucky8 said…
Is it toxic? I was told it contained poisonous ingredients if taken in the long run.
Lucky8 said…
I was told that too. It is poisonous.
Krista Goon said…
Hi - I have not heard about the poisonous ingredients. Please be specific. What are they? Hearsay will not help anyone but scares a lot of people. Again, anything that is taken continuously and over a long term is not good.

Popular posts from this blog

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak.  The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states.  Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea.  This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal