Skip to main content

Easy Mutton Stew with Carrots, Onions and Tomatoes, Asian-Style


This definitely isn't a soup. It's a stew but it's such a robust, hearty stew that I have to share it with you.

First of all, eating mutton was not part of my childhood. My mom never cooked mutton, noting that mutton was tough and had a gamey sort of smell. 

When I was a teenager, I got it into my head that I won't eat mutton or beef. (Errr....to hell with teen ideals...I happily eat both beef and mutton now. I have a long way to go to be a vegetarian!)

mutton stew with carrots, onions and spices
Mutton Stew with Carrots and Onions

As I grew older, I started trying out all types of cuisine and I most loved Indian mutton curry especially mutton varuval. Oh how I loved my mutton varuval. It was spicy and yummy and all the things the cardiologists never want you to eat.

When I was growing up, I always had cold feet especially if it was a week before my menstruation. This was part and parcel of PMS together with awful headaches, bloatedness and breast tenderness. Yes, I had the whole bloody works of PMS. It was like a gang turning my life upside down before the dreaded aunt flow arrived.

I read that eating mutton or lamb helped in reducing having chilly feet. Maybe that's not the real reason why I succumbed to my desire of chomping on mutton but it justified my food cravings.

If you cook mutton with "dang gui" like a stew, it's even better. It warms you up inside and makes you fearless of the cold, any cold. You will never fear rainy days or air-conditioning. (The other typical Chinese warm-me-up stew is Bak Kut Teh or pork ribs herbal stew....another classic dish!)

So I started buying mutton from Tesco - not cheap, mind you - but I was all raring to try cooking mutton. I didn't want to cook mutton with "dang gui" though I could. I wanted something like a stew and I found the perfect mutton stew recipe!

This is my go-to mutton stew recipe whenever I feel the need to eat something that makes me connect to my carnivorous cave-woman side. The stew tastes gorgeous the next day and especially if you dunk baguette bits into the stew to soak up the deliciousness.

If you have a slow cooker, you can just chuck all the ingredients into the pot and leave it to simmer for a few hours till the mutton is as tender as a rosebud. I'd recommend buying mutton with some fat as the fat renders beautifully into a sloppy mess of goopey stew.

I cook mine in a claypot which is great as claypot retains heat well and cooks stews beautifully.

Easy Mutton Stew with Carrots, Onions and Tomatoes, Asian-Style

2 tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic
mutton chunks
2 carrots, cut into chunks
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
2 large onions, cut into wedges
salt and black pepper
300 ml water or stock
2 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise

1. Heat up a pot and add oil. Fry garlic and onions with cloves, cinnamon stick and star anise.
2. Add mutton chunks. Sear the meat for a few seconds.
3. Add the rest of the vegetables and water.
4. Bring to a boil and then cover to simmer with low heat for 30 - 45 minutes until the mutton is tender.
5. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
6. Let the stew "rest" for 30 minutes or so before you dish up to serve with crusty bread or baguette slices. You can even eat it with white rice.

* If you are using a slow cooker, just place everything in the inner pot and let it cook on Auto for 2 hours or until the mutton is tender.


To continue my story about eating mutton and not having cold feet, actually it proved to be true in my case! I find that lamb and mutton warms up my body and I don't have chilly feet now. I have a friend who is always feeling cold (she even wears a cardigan to the supermarket as she gets cold faster than anyone of us) and she loves cooking lamb. I have not seen that warming effect on her despite her eating more lamb than me.

For some people, lamb or mutton is TOO warming so please go easy on mutton or lamb. Don't eat this stew weekly. Try it once a month first and see what happens. I don't want you to have nose bleeds!

(Nose bleeds as my mom used to tell me, was all about being too heated up inside. My youngest sister back in those days used to have nose bleeds off and on. My mom cured her of the nose bleeds with some soups made with black beans. I shall have to ask her what recipes those were.)



Comments

What's Baking?? said…
A hearty stew. I love eating lamb.
Krista Goon said…
Haha, yes, lamb and mutton is my fave too but not too much. All good things in moderation. These days Nic and I tend to eat more fish (though I have heard that fish is mercury-laden! Still eat the small fish instead of the huge ones and check with your fishmonger too which are farmed and which are not. Apparently the farmed fishes have more antibiotics!). Still, once in a while I have to satisfy my cravings. ;-) I'm incorrigible.

Popular posts from this blog

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak.  The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states.  Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea.  This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal