Skip to main content

Quick Tofu, Bittergourd and Minced Pork Soup


This isn't a slow simmered soup that takes 2 hours on the stove.

No. 

This is a quick 20 minutes soup that you can make on days when you want something nourishing and you just got home from work and you're too damn tired to call for take-out. 

This is my go-to soup that's nutritious and flavourful.

Packed with only 3 good ingredients - tofu, bittergourd and minced pork. 

You can even just cook some rice (in the rice cooker) while you make this soup. Once the rice is done, so's your tofu soup. 

simple chinese soup with tofu and bittergourd

Here's how you do it. 

1 packet of soft tofu, cut into cubes
1/2 cup minced pork/chicken - marinate with some salt, pepper, cornstarch and sesame oil 
1/2 bittergourd, sliced thinly*
some chopped garlic
spring onions to garnish
salt & pepper to taste
800 ml water 

Heat up some 2 tablespoons oil in a pot. Add garlic. Stir until it browns. Add water. Cover and bring it to a boil.

Once it is boiling, drop teaspoonfuls of minced pork/chicken into the soup. 

Let this come to a boil again.

Add in tofu and bittergourd. Season with salt and pepper. Bring heat to mere simmer. Simmer this for another 3 - 5 minutes (don't overcook the bittergourd). 

Turn off heat. Do not cover pot or else your bittergourd will look an unappetising brown instead of green. 

Then let the soup "rest" for about 5 minutes. I find that "resting" soups lets the flavour deepen more and gives a more robust taste compared to serving the soup immediately. This is a key tip! 

Before serving, sprinkle with spring onions. Your soup should be warm and lovely to slurp!

*Before you slice the bittergourd, wash the insides of the gourd (after you've scooped out the seeds) with a teaspoon of salt. Rub it well and rinse under running water. This gets most of the bitterness out of the gourd. 

Bittergourd is very good for removing heatiness in the body. 

It is also associated with older folks as younger ones often dislike bitter vegetables. 

It's also quite Chinese to encourage young people to eat bitter melon or bitter gourd presumably as "eating bitterness" seems to be in the Chinese psyche. If you can't take the bitterness of life, you're doomed. 

I enjoy eating another dish with bitter gourd. It's stir-fried with fermented black beans and garlic. All you need to do is slice the gourd thinly and fry it in a pan with fermented black beans and some chopped garlic.

Indians slice and deep-fry bitter gourd until they're crunchy. Often served with banana leaf rice, it's also a tasty way to eat bitter gourd minus the intense bitterness!  

Of late, there's a lot of health benefits about juicing bitter melon and drinking it neat. I shall stick to my bittergourd soup, thank you! 

What's your favourite way to cook and eat bittergourd (assuming you do eat this vegetable)? 



Comments

Zoe said…
Hi Soup Queen,

I'm a Singaporean living in Australia. Glad that I found your blog! I have gained a lot of Chinese soup knowledge from you. I'm now your latest follower.

Zoe
Krista Goon said…
Hi Zoe: I am glad to be of help. I am just mad about soups so as I learn, I try to pass on what I've learnt too. Are you Cantonese too?
Anonymous said…
Hi soup queen, I'm also Singaporean. Thanks for sharing your herbal recipes. Found your blog minutes ago while waiting for the herbal tendon soup to be ready in the kitchen.
Chrissy Tan
Anonymous said…
I'm actually looking for a recipe that is able to make the bitter gourd taste more prominent in the soup when I stumbled upon your blog.

I don't eat bitter gourd at all when I was younger, but like you said, it is usually associated with older folks. Guess I'm getting old!

I have learnt to embrace the bitterness since I've started making this soup and it is the bitterness and gives a 'kick' when drinking this soup and with the anchovies, there's a sweet and bitter flavour at the end.

Maybe you or anyone else out there should try to embrace the bitterness, after all it is not bitter gourd if it's not bitter right?
Krista Goon said…
Hi there: Haha, good comment. Yes, if it isn't bitter, it isn't bitter gourd. I guess yeah I am getting old. Thanks for visiting and leaving your comments!
Unknown said…
Good info, thanks for it just reminded me of the first soup I tried called African Peanut Soup.

Popular posts from this blog

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak.  The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states.  Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea.  This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most