Skip to main content

Buddha Fruit Sweet Soup


This is one of my favourite sweet soups! It is very much a dessert that can be taken hot or cold.

Clockwise from right: Buddha Fruit, dried lotus seeds, dried red dates and dried longan.

The Buddha Fruit or Lo Han Gua (actually I think it should be called Lo Han Fruit instead of Buddha Fruit) is a fruit from China that helps to reduce coughing. It supposedly aids longevity. You can read more about this amazing fruit by going to http://www.itmonline.org/arts/luohanguo.htm

It is usually dark brown and very light. Its sizes range from as small as a golf ball to as big as a tennis ball, any Chinese medicine hall or herbalist would have this available. It's not too expensive either, about RM1 per fruit.

To use it, just wash it and light crack it open. I use one medium size fruit for one pot of water (about 1.5 liters of water).

Besides the Buddha Fruit, I use a handful each of dried longan, dried red dates and dried lotus seeds.

The red dates are already pitted so it saves me time (yes, I am rather lazy!) in the kitchen. Just rinse the red dates and let them dry. Dried longan is also washed and left to dry.

Now for the dried lotus seeds. Soak them in some water. When they soften, use a sharp knife to split the seeds into two. Using the sharp edge of the knife, remove the green pith in the centre of the seed. This pith is bitter so I don't like accidentally biting into some bitter stuff when I am chewing the lotus seeds. What I do know is that the green pith is very cooling. You can discard the pith and just use the lotus seeds.

All you need to do now is put all these 4 ingredients into a pot of water and bring to boil. Once it has come to a boil, add some rock sugar and let it simmer for an hour or so. After that you can serve it warm. If you want it cold or chilled, do not add ice cubes! Just cool it in the fridge and you'll have a refreshing dessert.

Since taste is a personal preference, I often boil this dessert without rock sugar. I take it warm so just before serving, I mix it with honey. Honey is more nutritious anyway and is great for the complexion. And by doing it this way, I can please everyone in the family - some might want it sweeter, hence I just add more honey.

Of course, if you intend to chill it in the fridge, please add honey into the warm dessert before you do so.

Comments

Anonymous said…
There are 2 types of Buddha Fruit. A cheaper one will cost you about RM0.60 - RM0.90 for one and the one will cost you about RM1.00 - 1.20. I normally buy the more expensive one because it taste better. How to check it out? When u buy, use your nail to scretch on the fruit and smell. You will be able to smell a nice aroma. Pick that!

If you want it to be cooling purpose then, do not put in the red dates and longan. This is quite heaty. Red dates are good for blood circulation and longan is quite heaty.

May, you want to try this 3 Buddha Fruits with 1.5ml of water with 1 packet of dried sweet wintermelon.
Krista Goon said…
Hi Erina

Thanks for your tips! Will keep that in mind when I next make my sweet soup!

Popular posts from this blog

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak.  The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states.  Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea.  This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most