Skip to main content

Cool Down with Lotus

The weather's becoming crazily warm these days. It's to be anticipated as the run-up to Chinese New Year, which falls on 29 January this year, is often hot and dry in Penang. The sun is really high in the sky and the heat penetrates through walls, literally!

On days like these, I am reminded of my childhood where the day's menu would feature cooling soups and sometimes, porridge or congee.
One of the best (and again, easy... if it isn't easy, it won't find its way into my kitchen) soups for warm days when the appetite is waning is a bowl of lotus root soup.

Lotus root soup cures heat in the body, relieves dizziness and heatstroke. It also relieves constipation and improves appetite.

Lotus root comes from the lotus plant, from which you get the beautiful lotus flower. You can also get lotus seeds from lotus pods. The seeds have medicinal value and often the dried seeds (with the green pith removed) are used in herbal soups. The fresh seeds can also be eaten raw, and not everyone likes the taste though.

I haven't seen any fresh lotus pods in Penang though I can get it easily for RM1 per bunch in Ipoh. Here's how a fresh bunch of lotus pods look like (see below).

Anyway, the lotus root is another magic ingredient by itself. You can buy it in any wet market. Ask if it is from China. China-grown lotus roots are bigger and more robust. Locally grown ones are skinnier, according to my vegetable-seller at the Lip Sin market.

Lotus root can be made into a savoury soup or you can also turn it into a dessert (or 'sweet soup'). Just wash the root and peel off the outer skin with a potato peeler. Then slice thinly.



If you want a 'sweet soup'/ dessert, just boil the root slices with 3-4 pitted red dates in a pot of water and add rock sugar when it has simmered for about 45 minutes. It's a lovely cooling drink especially if it is chilled slightly. You can discard the lotus root slices.

For a savoury soup, just place the root slices into a pot of boiling water. Add 6-8 pitted red dates and 300 gm of blanched pork ribs. Again, as with all soups, bring to a rapid boil for 10 minutes. Then cover and simmer for 2 -3 hours. Add salt and a little soya sauce when the soup is almost done. And you'll have a wonderfully light lotus root soup to go with your rice.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love what you are doing here as i love soups but i am totally hopeless at making them. I am only starting to make them myself at home. Do post more receipes!! :)
Anonymous said…
I love what you are doing here as i love soups but i am totally hopeless at making them. I am only starting to make them myself at home. Do post more receipes!! :)
Krista Goon said…
Hi Ribena,
Thank you. Soups are my specialty and I can probably write a recipe book just on soups and herbs! Do come back often and let me help you with your soup escapades.
NYMacMom w 3 said…
Dear SoupQueen,
Well Done on this idea...you should start making $$ with the blog. Just wanted to ask permission to link u, a great resource for busy moms with kids under 6.
Krista Goon said…
Hi Chan Gang

I love sharing with people who love soups, like you and many others from all over the world who visit my blog. Yes, please link freely too. Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak.  The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states.  Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea.  This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal